Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy 2010!

I hope you had a wonderful New Years. Ours was very low-key in fact we feel asleep before midnight! Also, we managed to come in at $13.05 under budget for our New Year's allowance which is a good start, however, I gave $10.00 of this overage to Blake to replace the headphones I broke accidentally. Oops! The rest went onto the credit line.

I am super pumped as we are finally starting our new budget. Blake however is having difficulty adjusting. Before I would give him $10.00 cash/week which he would use to buy coffees, lottery tickets or chocolate bars while he was at work. I never had an "allowance", my only real weekly indulgence was buying a Woman's World magazine for $2.25. Anyway, we decided to give the whole month's allowance at once - this month at $10.00/week equals $50.00 each.

Blake was told about this website by his tech-geek brother-in-law and wants to now order everything on the site. (Oh yeah by the way it's American which means the prices need to be converted to Canadian). He's made a list and is well into spending about 5 months worth of allowances 2 days into the year. I had to talk him down as this is no more money than he was given before, its just all at once so if he spends it all he's got no money for the coffee and chocolate bars he desires.

Also, his brother-in-laws (3 of them) have all picked up paint ball as a new hobby and now he also wants to jump on the bandwagon. The problem is we live about an hour away from them, and Blake has his daughter every other weekend so he is really pressed for "free time". Besides, we only see him for about 4 hours/day (sometimes less) and most of that time is spent cooking supper, eating supper, kids baths & bedtime. Weekends are spent traveling to get Jenna and dropping her off an hour each way, Zack's skating lessons 45 minutes each way and shopping (usually multiple stores).

I agree everyone needs a hobby and I have no right to say how he spends his money, I know. Sometimes I wish he would just take the time to assess everything and make a better decision. My fear is that he will spend everything at once and try to re-negotiate the budget part way through the month and make he feel bad for denying his request.

0 comments:

 

This Housewife's Life Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon