Friday, December 4, 2009

What I've Learned in 2009

I've learned several things about myself this past year.

1) I DO NOT want anymore children. I love my kids with all my heart and soul. I have a boy & girl and a stepdaughter and that's enough for us. Crap, these 3 cost a fortunate and yes we are saving for post secondary education too here. Besides they all FINALLY sleep through the night. I don't want to sacrifice my sleep anymore, call me selfish but I like sleep.

2) Although I stay at home, I still have a job. Before kids I used to work as a financial advisor and I felt I had people's respect that I worked for a financial institution. When people ask me where I worked after I left the bank I would say "I don't work, I stay at home" and people would make me feel lazy, uneducated or "lucky". I now realize I actually have many jobs. I run a daycare in my home several days a week, I'm a product tester, a mystery shopper, I sell things, etc. all for income. So when people ask me what I do now I say I'm self-employed and I'm proud of that. The title "Housewife" often has a negative impression, only if you believe it. Yes, I am a wife and my work is at my house, just because I don't do the 9-5 grind somewhere outside my home shouldn't make me feel bad or any less of a person.

3) I need to meet more people. Specifically, more people like me. Out of all my closest friends (pre-kids) I am the only person who has kids and until recently the only only who is married. I had my son at 23 and daughter at 25 and I also live in a town that is full of old people and their cats. It makes it very hard to connect with those friends who can just 'get up and go' meanwhile we need to arrange childcare, etc for everything. In October, a younger couple has moved in next door with 4 kids and the 2 younger kids are the same age as my stepdaughter and son. We have met them but have yet to get to know them better. The mother stays at home too like me. We are hoping to see them at tomorrow's Santa Parade to invite them over for drinks. We'll see. Sheesh, it's harder to make friends when you get older. I used to be so popular back in high school, people flocked to me. Now, its weird. Making friends now is almost like dating again, if that makes sense...

0 comments:

 

This Housewife's Life Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon